Friday, December 16, 2011

First Homemade Gift of the Year: Fabric-covered journals

Technically this is not a Christmas gift, it is a December birthday gift, but I am making 3 more of these as Christmas gifts so I am going to put them together and call it good.

This is a great Christmas gift for a host of reasons.  First of all you can prepare for this by hitting all the after "Back to School" sales and getting the composition notebooks on an insane discount.  Second - and this especially rings true for scrapbookers - a lot of the things you need to make this are always on hand. 

For these gifts, however, I really sought out specific materials and embellishments that would be very personal to each girl (they just all happen to be for girls), not just use what I had.  It would probably require much less easier to get personalized gifts without a trip to the store if you do a lot of sewing... which I don't.  But I digress.

I am doing the step-by-step tutorial based on the first gift I made, but I'm also going to include pictures of others so you can get an idea of how different these gifts can be made.

Supply List:
  • Composition Notebook
  • Material
  • Embellishments (ribbon, scrapbook paper, stickers, etc)
  • Hot glue gun
You start with your composition notebook and material




Cut your material so that it is slightly larger than the notebook when it is open.  Start by folding one end (I usually start with the back of the notebook) and hot gluing it to the notebook.  Then cut a small slit in the material at the binding of the notebook so that you can fold the top and bottom of the material over and glue it to the notebook as well.




Repeat that with the front of the notebook and now you have a completely fabric covered journal and are ready for embellishments.




I love adding ribbons to these, especially adding ribbon that can be tied closed.  For the first notebook I didn't make the ribbon able to be tied, but just glued it as an embellishment.  I also added some bows, blingy accents and an initial to the cover.





And the other three I made as Christmas gifts:






The final journal is one where I left the ribbon on long enough to make it tie closed.

I really love making these, and personalizing them for each individual.  So much fun making these for some very special girls. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment